Monday, December 31, 2012

Petsmart Supplies

We went to Petsmart today in order to get more supplies for feeding the oysters.  Since oysters are algae eaters I am going to see if this type of algae feeder wafers will work.  I am hoping to replicate what oysters eat in the wild.  I also bought some aquarium chemical test strips.  I plan on using these to see if there are any chemical changes during the experiment.  I will test the water before adding oysters to the water....then once a day.  The test strips have a scale that is used for either freshwater or saltwater.  One problem I foresee is the Chesapeake Bay is neither fresh nor salt...it is called brackish water.  Which means its part fresh water and salt water to live.  The farther north you go up the bay the less salt in the water.  The closer to the mouth of the bay the saltier.  My theory is as long as I am consistent with using the scales it should indicate if there are any changes.  However I do not expect the reading to be accurate....however it should give me data on if there is change.

No comments:

Post a Comment